1. Suppose we want to design a new placebo-controlled trial to evaluate an experimental medication to increase lung capacity. The primary outcome is peak expiratory flow rate, a continuous variable measured in liters per minute. The primary outcome will be measured after 6 months on treatment. The expected peak expiratory flow rate in adults is 300 with a standard deviation of 50. How many subjects should be enrolled to ensure 80% power to detect a difference of 15 liters per minute with a two sided test with ? = 0.05
2. An investigator wants to estimate caffeine consumption in high school students. How many students would be required to ensure that a 95% confidence interval estimate for the mean caffeine intake (measured in mg) is within 15 units of the true mean? Assume that the standard deviation in caffeine intake is 68 mg.
3. Consider the study proposed in problem #2. How many students would be required to estimate the proportion of students who consume coffee? Suppose we want the estimate to be within 5% of the true proportion with 95% confidence.
4. A clinical trial was conducted comparing a new compound designed to improve wound healing in trauma patients to a placebo. After treatment for 5 days, 58% of the patients taking the new compound had a substantial reduction in the size of their wound as compared to 44% in the placebo group. The trial failed to show significance. How many subjects would be required to detect the difference in proportions observed in the trial with 80% power? A two sided test is planned at ? = 0.05
5. A crossover trial is planned to evaluate the impact of an educational intervention program to reduce alcohol consumption in patients determined to be at risk for alcohol problems. The plan is to measure alcohol consumption (the number of drinks on a typical drinking day) before the intervention and then again after participants complete the educational intervention program. How many participants would be required to ensure that a 95% confidence interval for the mean difference in the number of drinks is within 2 drinks of the true mean? Assume that the standard deviation of the difference in the mean number of drinks is 6.7 drinks.
6. An investigator wants to design a study to estimate the difference in the proportions of men and women who develop early onset cardiovascular disease (defined as cardiovascular disease before age 50). A study conducted 10 years ago, found that 15% and 8% of men and women, respectively, developed early onset cardiovascular disease. How many men and women are needed to generate a 95% confidence interval estimate for the difference in proportions with a margin of error not exceeding 4%?
7. The mean body mass index (BMI) for boys age 12 is 23.6. An investigator wants to test if the BMI is higher in boys age 12 living in New York City. How many boys are needed to ensure that a two-sided test of hypothesis has 80% power to detect an increase in BMI of 2 units? Assume that the standard deviation in BMI is 5.7.
8. An investigator wants to design a study to estimate the difference in the mean BMI between boys and girls age 12 living in New York City. How many boys and girls are needed to ensure that a 95% confidence interval estimate for the difference in mean BMI between boys and girls has a margin of error not exceeding 2 units? Use the estimate of the variability in BMI from problem #7.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more